eBay Killing Listings With BidPay logos..

Doc
Site Admin

eBay Killing Listings With BidPay logos..

Post by Doc » February 5th, 2006, 9:27 am

From Auction Bytes News Flash..

I strongly urge all eBay sellers to check their templates to make sure your
listings comply with eBay's new Safe Payments policy. Apparently some people are reporting auctions that contain references to BidPay to eBay - and eBay is pulling those listings down By doing so without giving sellers a warning (BidPay was initially an accepted method according to eBay's own policy), it seems to me eBay is accomplishing the following:

- Losing sales by removing listings
- Making potential buyers suspicious of legitimate-looking eBay listings
- Making sellers upset

The enforcement is also making small sellers question the "Level Playing
Field" famously touted by eBay - accusations are already flying that eBay is
giving special treatment to one well known, high-feedback eBay seller who
still has BidPay and Cash listed as accepted methods of payment in their
listings.

Whether it makes good business sense for eBay or not, the reality is,
sellers need to take a hard look at their listings and terms of service to
make sure they are not violating any of eBay's policies.

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m02/i02/s01
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Former eBay Motors PowerSeller

turtle-clan

Post by turtle-clan » February 5th, 2006, 9:40 am

Doc, I sure am happy to see bidpay gone. I found out the hard way what a ripoff it was.
Don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, just giving my little opinion of that egg sucking payment method.

Before I forget, Thanks for having a place that I can hang out. You have been a great help to me over the years.
Be patient, and get-r-done

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 5th, 2006, 9:51 am

Morning Tommy..

I have never used it, but i know of others that have..

It just SUCKS that eBay is pulling listings with it mentioned in them! I hear they have outlawed CASH Payments too! Oh yea i have a car fer sale and the buyer can't pay me CASH on Delivery?? They Suck!!

I don't miss that Pay Toilet one bit!
DOC
Admin & Publisher

turtle-clan

Post by turtle-clan » February 5th, 2006, 10:18 am

I do agree there is problems.
Some Buyers won't do an onsite transaction.
Some Buyers insist on paying Cash.

I have had so many complaints on ending an auction early.
I always put a buy it now, the potential buyer has 6 days to buy the car. Here I am sitting with a dozen Cash offers, I end it on the sixth day and sell the darn thing. Most of the time get more than the buy it now, but yet I am the bad seller?

I have just been trying to sell off my toys. Debra is really sick, my health sucks.
I don't feel like playing games.
Those good buyers down yonder pay quickly, and don't play games.
They also send you referrals, wanting to know what else you got.

All of my toys is gone but one, I think I will just sell it under parts and give them another one like it free.

I am a good buyer, but I suck as a seller.

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 5th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Tommy, I'm sorry you're both doing so poorly.

I'm pissed about this. I loved bidpay because I got my money. I used it for international orders. Since some of mine are over $500 it was a great way to know I'd gotten paid unlike PP. It is listed in all my listings. I have to manually change ever single one. I haven't had time. Right now I know they're only pulling ones that are reported and I don't have a lot of competition but it still sucks. I guess I need to sit down for several hours and update all my listings.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

turtle-clan

Post by turtle-clan » February 5th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear that it is giving you problems.
Yes, it was good for the honest sellers. Just too many crooks tried to take advantage of it.
With Pay Pal when someone trys to shaft you, then you can get a full refund.
The way Bid Pay was set up, you got shafted no matter what you did.
Case in point, $100 item, seller wouldn't ship. Filed complaint with Ebay, got $25 back, no item. Cost me $75, taught me a lesson I will never forget.
I need to stay off the boards, some things just hit me the wrong way.

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 6th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Tommy, you have every right to have a problem with them. For a buyer they stink. For a seller it was great.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Anyone else get this?
mopar-of-newark (23 ) View Listings | Report Feb-14-06 11:50 PST
I was having a problem getting a listing up because I used to have "we DO NOT accept WU for payment." put in
automatically. It was making me nuts till I opened my email and found...

Hello

Are you getting errors while trying to revise or send new items to Ebay Motors? If you are, please continue to read. We have been made aware of an issue last night that is preventing items from being listed to the site containing the words “Western Union”, “Moneygram”, or “Bidpay” in the listing. While these are not recommended as appropriate funding venues, some people have them in their description to help warn potential buyers from ever sending money via these methods to scammers.

I appreciate your diligence in helping with these, but to allow your listings to be put on the site you will either need to remove these words or alter them. Instead of specifically mentioning one of these venues, you can simply mention “instant money transfer” or something similar.

Again, this may not have an impact on your listings, but I wanted to get this information out to you for the weekend if you do have a problem.

Found this over on EBM, Man, now my listings aren't going to work. Guess I know I have a really exciting night of changing every listing and MW template I've got. The templates aren't really a prob, it's the over 200 listings I have to revise.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 14th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Well it may help cut down on the scams..

BUT.. The Scammers will just use an Image File to get around it. (Like i did on my EBMDG signature line photo)

Once again the Crooks are ruining it for the Good Guys/Gals!
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I actually think it's a way to punish those of us who rebel against ebay/pp. After all, if you were taking bidpay you weren't following the party line. Anyhow, if they keep me busy enough I'll never have time to build my shopping cart thereby forcing me to continue to use ebay!
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 14th, 2006, 9:04 pm

BidPay did cease operations last month, And I'm sure eBay had a lot to do with that! And i wonder if they paid someone at WU to stop the service?

This is hurting sellers that did international business the most, who didn't accept PayPal! And it will force those folks to now use PayPal! Talk about an eBay Monopoly!!

They just keep cornering the market, And either buying out or forcing the competition out of business! They should never been allowed to buy PayPal in the beginning!

Oh well..
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Yup. I used to not take PP pretty much at all for international. Now since I can't tell people a quick alternative I have been taking it for smaller sales and people with good fb that have purchases that correlate to what I sell. I'm thinking of just getting a merchant acct and not taking PP at all. Monthly merchant fees would mean I pretty much have to shove it all under the merchant rather than letting people do either. It sucks. And yeah, I do think that ebay had something to do with the cancellation of bidpay service.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

RS69cam777

Post by RS69cam777 » February 14th, 2006, 10:31 pm

I used Bidpay all the time a few years back, I liked them better than P.P.

They kept records of aution #, buyer/seller add. ID's ect...

I felt far better useing them then I ever did with P.P. even though I never had a problem with either.

But many times used B.Pay just for the "Record's sake" over a Postal MO.

I think B.P took the heat for the Western U. MO scams (As I think someone pointed out)

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 11:47 pm

What I liked was that they took the fall if the card was bad. They had the ability to check it carefully or not and it was their money out of pocket if it turned out to be bad. Someone once said something about chargebacks being a problem but I don't think it was. They took precautions to keep from sending money to fake people too. I had orders that had to be worked on because they didn't realize how heavy capacitors are. They would reject my ability to receive until they verified stuff. Since they actually sent the money order, I wouldn't think chargebacks would be successful since what the buyer bought was a money order from them.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

RS69cam777

Post by RS69cam777 » February 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Charge back= that was my point a few years back on the board,

And never could understand why many did not use it, and this is before the Western U. scams.

JR

Post by JR » February 15th, 2006, 11:11 pm

I'm strickly cash, money orders, or cashier checks, no PayPal. Personal checks are ok sometimes.

JR

:read:

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 15th, 2006, 11:29 pm

I'm annoyed. I'm trying to get the bidpay out of my auctions. I make the changes (I'm updating my fixed shipping prices for the new postal rates too while I'm in there) and go to save it and I get all kinds of messages that mean it didn't get updated. Sucks. Pretty much every other one I've had to close the window and sign back in to get it to work. POS ebay.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 16th, 2006, 6:37 am

I know the feeling, But i don't have to worry about it any more![/img]
DOC
Admin & Publisher