Mourning The Death of Common Sense.. Wake UP AMERICA!!!

Doc
Site Admin

Mourning The Death of Common Sense.. Wake UP AMERICA!!!

Post by Doc » February 13th, 2006, 7:17 am

Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows:

Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.

Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.

A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.

C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.

Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Former eBay Motors PowerSeller

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 13th, 2006, 9:12 pm

I think common sense has been dead for most of my life. Doesn't seem like so many people have much anymore.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 13th, 2006, 9:16 pm

I thought i had plenty.. But it seems since i let eBay break me, i didn't have enough!!

Oh well I'm Free At Last.. :lol:
DOC
Admin & Publisher

RS69cam777

Post by RS69cam777 » February 13th, 2006, 10:02 pm

good thred Doc.

bobsclassicarz

Post by bobsclassicarz » February 13th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Overall, you probably feel better ,right? :lol:

JR

Post by JR » February 13th, 2006, 10:12 pm

I work with the Federal Government daily and you won't find any common sense within their circle of employees.

JR

:clown:

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 14th, 2006, 6:52 am

Yea.. I feel as relieved as when i got out of the pokey.. Gave a cop the finger when i was 16 and he tossed me in the hoosegow.. Mom made me sit there ALL Day Long!! Man was i happy to get out of there..

eBay is like the pokey.. I can drive by and even cruise the parking lot, but don't have to be a resident any longer..
:bootyshake:
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 10:58 am

I have to say that ebay has done a lot for a lot of people. It introduced the buyers and sellers to eachother. It helped a lot of us start a business online with minimal $ up front and helped a lot of us realize that we can do these things. It's too bad that they've become a quagmire instead of continuing to be a wonderful place to buy and sell. Many of the things that they've done the last couple years have caused me to get my mind around having my own site not dependent on someone else. It's helped me build my client base to the point that I think I could succeed without them. Now I just need the time to build my site. Somehow though, ebay keeps changing things so I'm constantly having to tweak what I've already done.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 14th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Sharon, Here is a sample online store i have set up.

It is part of whats included with webmasters.com 9.95 month hosting plans. It is very configurable including colors styles, quantity of items, and is set up to accept credit cards, pay-pal, or checks.

http://www.docsplace.org/store/
This is a working demo..
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Does it calculate shipping? This is my biggest challenge. I was going to use Mals and just have been trying to figure out the best way to set up shipping. I never have enough time to just sit down and figure stuff out.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » February 14th, 2006, 1:05 pm

You have to calculate that, there are variables for quantity of items and total price. Not bad for an included with website hosting php cart.
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » February 14th, 2006, 1:42 pm

I don't really have too much of a problem loading all the other stuff for my website. The shopping cart just has so many variables. I think I just need to come up with a flat rate shipping table for the whole world that will avg out ok for me. It's kinda tricky because caps weigh anything from 4 oz to 14 oz right now. I just ordered a container load of some big ones that wll end up weighing in at about 18 oz each. Then you have to figure the box. My Marketworks cart has actually been pretty good, it has a first one and additional ones weight which really helps. It also is able to figure based on zone. I found something like that that is compatible with Mals cart and might pay to get the code, it's like $35 and taps into fedex, usps, ups and I think DHL.

I have a friend working on a project for how to build an oscommerce cart. His company got some kind of grant and they are having a grad student do it. I've heard oscommerce is the best freebie available but is tricky to set up. From what I've looked at on mals it's pretty easy, just the whole shipping dilemma.
Sharon
Virgin Princess