Would Someone Please

Doc
Site Admin

Would Someone Please

Post by Doc » March 13th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Ask Mark_Ridings why eBay allows US Members to sign in from Romania Etc?
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa? ... 2286701743

All this talk of eBay spending Millions on Scam Prevention.. I know for a fact that a simple IP check on sign-in could reject a user from signing into their eBay account. No US eBay Seller should be logging in to their account from Romania A hijacked account would be useless to a scammer abroad!

Also on the fees charged to a hijacked account, If the accounts method of payment has been charged and eBay gets paid, They refund the charges to the eBay Account, Not Directly to a persons funding source. So in essence eBay still has the money and is collecting interest on it. The person who holds the account must request a refund check from eBay..

And invite him over here to discuss it.
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Former eBay Motors PowerSeller

JR

Post by JR » March 13th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Good thread that makes it so one doesn't want to sell on eBay. Haven't sold on eBay since 2001 and I will never again.

I do buy, but the selection is not as good as it once was. Some used items sell for more than new. eBay just flat sux!

JR

8)

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » March 13th, 2006, 11:24 pm

I haven't been over there all day. Was training my replacement so didn't have time to play and am now messing with my network. It keeps dumping setting. Connects, doesn't connect. How annoying.

Interesting. I had a bit of a conversation with Mark about that whole billing thing and the credits. He asked me a bunch of questions, apologized saying he wasn't trying to be rude (what is it with men always apologizing to me?). I guess I must have answered that one pretty well. He's a smart guy. Guess he checked around. He said he'd never heard that complaint before. Guess I'll pop over there while I'm taking a break from that frustrating non connection on baby girls computer.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

mark_r

Post by mark_r » March 14th, 2006, 1:26 am

I posted a response over there.

I also invited Rob Chesnut to come comment through an email

The NARU accounts with the listings staying up for like a full day is an embarrasment

For at least 2 years I have been prodding , pleading, begging literally ebay to think about the carrot / stick approach

If the listings dont stay up, then what incentive is there for the scammer to hijack 10,000 accounts a day?

I was until recently, like others reporting hundreds of hacked accounts to ebay every day, 7 days a week

I've given up.

Ive been bouncing around various answer centers and boards just to kill time, but I told them a year ago they needed a new approach, and the sites a friggin mess.

But what I have said is true. What we see is only a small percentage of what is attempted.

They stop thousands and thousands of listings from hitting the site that are never seen. And they do spend millions. They have very complex systems that scereen listings, and who knows how many thousands are flashed on a screen to be looked at before they can be indexed.

And hey are overwhlemed

Ive seen one, 1 eweek period in the last 2 years when they fooled me in to thinking they were doing something different.
But it was just the romanians on Christmas holiday.

can I curse on this board?

I have thought, if they throw 2, or 5 million at the romanain authorities, thats 2 days profit, they could wipe out most of the scam listings.

but im just guessing
its not that many a-hole romanians causong the bulk of the problem

50 arrests every few months would cure a lot of ills
they did 40 all last year.

okay
/ rant

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » March 14th, 2006, 9:14 am

Glad you came here. Yes you can swear. No one around to slap you, except maybe me. Yes, there are things ebay can do. I can only think that they don't want to. All those listings pump the numbers up to the stockholders.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » March 14th, 2006, 10:15 am

Mark, Thank you for joining us..

If eBay just did an IP check on any US account login, and blocked just the .ro country code you would see a great deal of this crap come to an abrupt end.

But I'm sure eBay will claim they have no way of tracking IP's.. Which is a load of crap! As my friend Rapparts once said, "Less is more!" IP Check on login is a simple and effective cure to this problem!

I do not hate eBay or have a vendetta against them, I just want it to be a secure place to trade, and have desent support!

They are constantly Fucking Up! It never ends, look what those morons did to me here: http://www.suspendedfromebay.com I can't help feeling the way i do, but i grew up when times were simpler, you could all up a company for support, etc, etc, etc.

What ever happened to the day where the customer was always right.. And businesses worked hard to earn there money, and ensured customer satisfaction?
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » March 14th, 2006, 11:48 am

I saw a question that asked why eBay allows scammers to sign in from say Romania.

The scammers can hide their IP addresses in any of several ways.

They can use AOL accounts, and aol proxy server's make all the traffic look like it's coming out of Virginia.

They can use other Internet anonymizers that in just a few clicks can make you look like you are in the US one minute, and Uruguay the next.

google for "Hide IP " or just "anonymizers".

It's just to easy to find an open proxy server.

They are hacking servers all over the place, once they do that they can go through that server.

It's a monumental task.

I just noticed this on the EBMDG..

I thought eBay rejected a login through an anonymizer? I know they exist, but i have never used one.

So they need to block them as well as spoofed ip's on login, lock the place down!
DOC
Admin & Publisher

turtle-clan

Post by turtle-clan » March 14th, 2006, 4:48 pm

They don't have time to go after the scammers, yet they have plenty of time to torture me.

Sure I speak what's on my mind ocasionally. Does that put me in the same category as a scammer?
While others get a simple pink slap, they give me a suspension.

It's aways easier to shoot a member of your own army, than go out and look for the bad guy.
Be patient, and get-r-done

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » March 14th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Its like the cops giving a tourist a speeding ticket for going 8 mph over the limit.. It is profitable to the city, and the cop don't worry about getting shot at, like he surly would busting a crack house!

Same deal with eBay.. It is easier to slap the good guys around, they feel justified cause it's their job.. And the scammers are to tricky for eBay to catch..

Romania should be doing more to catch there cons, but I'm sure the scammers are greasing the local officials.. The same way eBay lets there power sellers get away with lots of dishonesty.. Money Talks..!

I sold 2 Today.. 2005 Kia Amanti and a 2005 Isuzu Ascender.. I love the $$$ Too.. But at least i earn it.. 8)
DOC
Admin & Publisher

turtle-clan

Post by turtle-clan » March 14th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Congrats Doc, Yes you do it honestly. I'm as happy as you are.
I like to see my friends do good. Yeee Hawww
Be patient, and get-r-done

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » March 14th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Just like the speeding tickets, it's easy to bust us regular people for stupid infractions. Then they can say, see, we are taking care of our trading community.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » March 14th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Just like Suspending DOC.. All 9 of my accounts!! "docsplaceonline" 100% Positive Feedback! They did it because they could.. I'm sure they hated me and used that old Town Car listing for an excuse to suspend me!

I have an excellent record of both Buying and Selling on eBay.. They reached out and pushed 1 button.. And Poof.. No more Doc complaining on there boards..

They did it because they could, and it was easier to suspend ME and My WIFE because they think like Thieves! and ASSume i would use her acct to get back on eBay! Which i will never do or set up an alias account to log back in..

If i am not welcome that's fine.. And it's really no biggie.. IF i was to find something special that would ring the bell, there are several others in the bay area that i could get to list for me, i can also get someone else to bid for me if there is something i need bad enough..

All they did was silence my right to free speech on their boards!

Oh well at least there was 1 person i helped get their car while i was active:
http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/EAmotors.htm

She gave up on eBay because they blew her off because she was out of the country, and asked me for help. I got her handled through the Florida DMV.. And she has her car finally! With no help from eBay!

It is just like Mark says.. eBay does not guarantee anything! And they have no liability if someone gets Funked on their site! Well let me tell you something.. Their site had solid value when a deal done on eBay was a binding contract, and both buyer and seller were bound to complete the transaction.. But with the Disclaimer their Lawyers are waiving all over the place.. What good is the place??

It Just SUCKS more and more each day.. And The DOC Said So!!
DOC
Admin & Publisher

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » March 14th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Even the newspaper will pull ads when they are presented with proof it's a scam. Scam prone ad sections have warnings at the top. They at least will make sympathic noises. Given that the paper only says they'll give you exposure no one expects them to overly police the ads. They tell you they can only do so much. Ebay likes to make it sound like they actually have some idea about their sellers but they don't. They have less idea than a lot of the newspapers do.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » March 14th, 2006, 9:27 pm

eBay Motors is now not much more than a Glorified autotrader.com! The only difference is with eBay you have the ability to use HTML to present a nice iisting to prospective buyers..

God help a newby! Between the Nigerian Cashiers Check Scamers and the Romanian Scammers with their BIN Specials!

Maybe if eBay had made an effort to "Educate The Community" on these Scams 3 Years Ago.. The public would not be so naive! But they just swept it under the rug! Now it is Biting Them In The ASS!

They are getting just what they asked for! Fraud on eBay is out of control! And it seems they can't stop it!

BUT THEY CAN SUSPEND ME!!
DOC
Admin & Publisher