It rained everywhere but here.

MidoriMeadows

It rained everywhere but here.

Post by MidoriMeadows » May 19th, 2006, 9:57 pm

I had to drive 50 miles east of here today. Love that drive though. It's almost all through farm country. I got to tour a plant that makes laminated beams. That's my fav part of my job. I get to see all these things and ask people how they work. It was really cool. They make these huge beams out of dim. lumber. Crunching numbers is only so much fun. It's the getting out and meeting people and seeing how things are made or what they do that's fun.

It rained for most of my drive. I was hoping it rained that much here. I got my tax refund and I need to have my driveway graded and graveled. A little rain would make it much easier. But no, it spit here a little but didn't really rain.

I've got a friend who's brother does road work and has a grader. This winter was so wet that my driveway is trashed. I need to have it leveled and graveled. I want to expand it a bit. Make it easier to get the trailers around.

Off to buy a car tomorrow. I don't think I'm getting fired and I really like my job so I guess I have to get a boring little commuter to drive around in. I put about 100 miles or more a day on my truck. Maintenance on a little car will be a lot cheaper and so will the gas. Diesel is at $3.07 at the cheap station and regular is running about $3-$3.10. But if I get even 30 mpg that'll still be cheaper than the 15 mpg that I get now. Tires will be cheaper too. Oil. OK, everything. I'll miss driving my tank everyday but oh well, such is life.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » May 21st, 2006, 10:01 pm

Well, the rain hit us today. This always happens when I'm taking furniture to Goodwill. Put together baby girl's new desk today. Loaded the old one in the truck and the black clouds started moving in. It started dumping right after we left the house. Rained all afternoon. It rained so hard the power went out. After about an hour I called the electric co. Turns out they had outages all over the area.

Took 2 hrs or more to come back on. Of course, everything I had to do needed electricity. I needed the table saw to cut a piece of wood to reinforce the desk. It was kinda cheesy and so I took one of the scraps they had packed to hold things in place and cut another piece.

Still need to vacuum but stopped for dinner. I gotta run a load of laundry. I bought some fabric to make a totally frivolous skirt to go with my really impractical shoes I bought yesterday. Have no clue how I'm going to walk around in them. Guess I'll just sit next to Phil's pool looking sexy in 3" spikes. Naw, more likely will be running around barefooted.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc » May 22nd, 2006, 7:04 am

Wow.. A woman that can put a desk together, and use an electric saw, fix her own lawn mower, cut down brambles, etc.. I'm impressed :)

Yea electricity is important, we never appreciate it until it is out! I remember the last hurricane season from hell.. We lost power for 2 days.. I had a jumper box with a light in it to light the room at night, used the 12 volts to run a car radio hooked up with clip leads..

It was really strange to go outside and see no lights anywhere, and it was unusually quiet, no noise from every ones ac condensers running. Just the hum of someones generator on another street somewhere in the distance..

No more hurricanes!!!!
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Former eBay Motors PowerSeller

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » May 22nd, 2006, 9:15 am

I've gone for days with no electricity. It sucks when you're on a well since you don't have water. I keep barrels full near the house. Now with the creeks we can usually get enough to water the animals. If I had a generator for the water I could live without for quite some times. It was just annoying that I couldn't get the last of the vacuuming finished.
Sharon
Virgin Princess

RS69cam777

Post by RS69cam777 » May 22nd, 2006, 11:42 pm

Oh man don't remind me of that, We had a Gen. good for a few things, but still no air and it was HOT even at night,

And the noise! just to run a fan, and the ref. I think it was for 10 days?

--------------------------------

We have no rain, up in Gainsville {45 miles north } they have burn bans,

Here it's vol. burn ban. I heard also in Clay county =like Gains.

shavedbeaver

Post by shavedbeaver » May 27th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Sounds like the perfect weather to get a little
Everyone needs a little Beaver now and then