Laptop / Notebook recommendations?

notspock

Laptop / Notebook recommendations?

Post by notspock » July 3rd, 2006, 8:52 am

DOC, I'm thinking about buying a portable PC. Nothing fancy, just want to have one that will travel....... check email, pay bills & etc. I do think that I want one that is wireless.

I checked the thread salez started. The link to the Acer-aspire that you suggested for her says "product no longer available."

I seem to recall that you do not recommend Dell products, but I have an advertisement for a Dell "Inspiring B-130 notebook with:

Intel Centrino Mobile technology
Intel "Pentium M processor 745 (1.80 GHz)
Itel PRO/Wireless2915 internal wireless (802.11a/b/g)
Windows XP home edition
1GB shared DDR-SDRAM
60GB hard drive
CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)

$599

What are the pros and cons. Is there something in the same price range that you feel is better?

Thanks

notspock

Post by notspock » July 3rd, 2006, 8:54 am

Oh, the Dell I'm looking at, has a 15.4" widescreen XGA display

MidoriMeadows

Post by MidoriMeadows » July 3rd, 2006, 9:42 am

I have 2 dell desktops and 2 laptops. The laptop I have for work is a Latitude. I really like it. Daughter has an Inspiron. Her's is a couple years old and we have a wireless card. Mine is a few months old and has built in wireless. Either works but the built in is just one less thing to stick out.

Doc actually likes my screen better than his. His is regular, mine's anti glare.

You want to get the longest battery you can. Daughter's was the cheapest and it seems to last about 15 minutes. Mine lasts 2 or 3 hrs.

I have an inverter in my car. One nice thing about my laptop is that it uses one of the cheaper inverters. Doc's requires so much power that it takes an expensive inverter. I can sit all day with my laptop plugged into the car.

The downside of Dells is that they really are made to be disposable. My two desktops have all sorts of stuff that would pretty much require a new motherboard if they die. I don't like that as I can work on my own hardware. Laptops are pretty much unworkable anyway. My old boss needed some work done on his and he couldn't find anyone who would touch it. We had to send it back to the factory.

On the plus side, they're pretty cheap so when something goes, it's just time to buy a new one. You can buy the extended warranty which will take care of a lot of things. I generally don't as I figure either something will fail in the free warranty or it'll make it a year or two and be time to be replaced anyway.

My laptop is a company one, they have the extended warranty cause I think they get it cheap. They have 1000s of computers out to all their field reps and so I'm sure it's worth it for them.
Sharon
Virgin Princess