Possible Hijacked PayPal & eBay Account? 19,950.00 Trans

Doc
Site Admin

Possible Hijacked PayPal & eBay Account? 19,950.00 Trans

Post by Doc » July 25th, 2006, 1:58 pm

This Is An Interesting And Very Educational Thread Copied From The EBMDG! I Recommend Everyone Read It!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The buyer won't respond but has paid most of the balance!?
stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 16:37 PDT
My auction number was 150002764634. I sold my vette to a guy in Iceland and in my listing I stated to please have finances in order before bidding, I needed full balance within 72 hours of auction closing, and buyer is responsible for pick up or shipment of car. I sent emails to the winning bidder for an update but he didn't respond. After the close and he didn't respond with a payment until six days later and posted two payments via pay pal. I assumed he was serious with the auction by these actions but the payments didn't equal the balance...he still owes me $5,000. I've emailed him many times for another update and it's been over a week since those payments and I've heard nothing. I've been very patient but I really needed the money as I stated in the auction. I decided to file an unpaid item report today and would like to move on from this because I can't wait any longer. My main question now is that am I obligated to refund any of the money? I feel that I'm not. He didn't start paying till after the 72 hour deadline and has not returned any of my messages. I stated a non-refundable $500 deposit was needed within 24 hours of auction closing but I didn't state either way what would happen if a buyer started making payments and then disappeared. It's almost like me buying a car, making payments, and then down the road I stop and it's reposessed. The bank wouldn't then pay back my payments I previously made. I'm curious to what I should do because I've done all I can in communicating with the buyer and giving him time. I now want to move on and consider all the "deposits" non-refundable. Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks.
Previous 1 | 2 | 3 Next See last post
116 replies Date posted Reply #
ruben751 (32 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 16:50 PDT 1 of 116
so the guy has payed you about 15k, and you want to keep the money,did you withdraw the money from paypal?I honestly can not believe you would even consider keeping the money.Maybe you should keep the deposit and send the rest back.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 16:53 PDT 2 of 116
He won't respond to me...I don't even have a way to send it back. The more research I do on the individual it appears that something isn't adding up so that's why the refund situation has come up. He's put me in a major bind and ignored all my auction stipulations so I'm not just trying to take someone's money. How long should I even hold on to the car when he's not contacting me when I desperately need the full amount?

thingamajigs*n*widgets (84 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 16:56 PDT 3 of 116
There is no such thing as non-refundable when accepting money through Paypal.

PayPal requires online viewable proof of delivery to a Paypal confirmed shipping address (with signature confirmation for amounts over $250.00).
PayPal also requires one single payment for a transaction.
Without following the Paypal Seller Protection Policy all any buyer has to do is ask Paypal for their money back to get a full refund.

If this buyer pays you in full for this car, has a shipping company come pick it up, then decides he wants to keep the car and get his $19950.00 back all he has to do is tell PayPal he never received the item.
PayPal will ask you for online viewable proof of delivery with signature confirmation to the buyers Paypal confirmed shipping address.
You won't have this information.
Since you will have completely ignored the PayPal Seller Protection Policy, PayPal will immediately issue him a full refund.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:06 PDT 4 of 116
I told him I wanted a cashiers check but he said he could only go through pay pal...he added he'd pay over the amount to take care of the fees pay pal would take out. I never agreed on him making more than one payment and still don't know why he did. This is interesting information though. What about me stating $500 non-refundable deposit via pay pal in the auction? Ebay has told me that the refund policy is what's stated in the listing. I'm still not quite sure I understand what you're saying here about the pay pal though. I'm now even more suspicious of this buyer as he may have knew of this and deliberately made seperate payments in an attempt to do this.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:07 PDT 5 of 116
Should I also contact pay pal about this?

meowsertd (51 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:23 PDT 6 of 116
i would

i also would only keep the deposit and refund the rest of the funds

you cna go to the transaction and click refund

once there you can refund all or part of the funds

refund everything but the 500 and your fees if you like and relist the car BBL the buyer

or contact paypal and see what they suggest

personaly id have fed exed a recipt to the buyer once i got the first payment as my proof of delivery
Anything said by me is Parody and not to be taken seriously. No statements of fact made are to be deemed factual. ©

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:36 PDT 7 of 116
But what also would be considered the deposit? The $500 was for the hold during the 72 hour period in which I was supposed to receive the full balance. It has been a long time since that has passed and I feel I'm owed compensation at the very least. I've said no to offers after the auction because the car was "sold". I'm sure yall can understand my fears and I want to cover all my bases but I feel I deserve money for my trouble, time, and fees from other situations that I needed the money from the sell of the vette and thus the reason I stated to have the full balance within 72 hours.

redturtlemotors (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:38 PDT 8 of 116
I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 ft pole!

The eBay account may have been hijacked, and the same with the PayPal account!

I would go into PayPal and under each transaction, at the bottom of the page is a Refund Link.. Send it ALL BACK!

If you don't and the acct was Hijacked, or the owner files a complaint with PayPal they WILL Seize your account, And attempt to take the money back!

If you already moved it out they will bill any funding source you have on file with them, (past or present!)

PayPal is OK for low dollar transactions but not for Cars or any other High Dollar Transaction!

Best bet if the bidder is sincere is a Bank Wire Transfer! Your bank can give you the details how it is done.

I have sold lots of vehicles abroad, and if they are done properly can be very rewarding for both parties!

Red is the Best Color..

chopt49 (34 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 17:59 PDT 9 of 116
some of the posters here need a little education on how paypal works.

If this buyer pays you in full for this car, has a shipping company come pick it up, then decides he wants to keep the car and get his $19950.00 back all he has to do is tell PayPal he never received the item.

it's not that easy. where is the money going to come from since you have already removed it from your account?? you did remove it from your account right?

Since you will have completely ignored the PayPal Seller Protection Policy, PayPal will immediately issue him a full refund.

only if you were foolish enough to leave the money where paypal can grab it..

keep the money...sell the car again. that's what I'd do. refund only if he contacts you, then take out some for your troubles.

sell it with the auto trader... much less hassle. CASH AND CARRY ONLY
Image hosting by Photobucket

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:12 PDT 10 of 116
He hasn't paid in full and yes, what he has paid I've removed. That's along the lines of my thinking. Although, I have faith in Ebay and would probably relist here.

thingamajigs*n*widgets (84 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:25 PDT 11 of 116
it's not that easy. where is the money going to come from since you have already removed it from your account?? you did remove it from your account right?

Don't forget the part of Never being able to use Paypal again.

Or the all important:
PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means.

larryonline (21 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:38 PDT 12 of 116
Refund all of the buyers money and move on.

1508dan (56 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:42 PDT 13 of 116
The OP got all that green in his eyes now and it’s blocking his view of reality!

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:44 PDT 14 of 116
But why would Pay Pal go through all that trouble to take the funds back from me? Aren't we all in agreement that an ebay auction is a legal and binding agreement? This buyer agreed to pay the full balance under the terms specified and now has not done so. Assuming the buyer doesn't pay the remaining balance and doesn't contact me in a timely manner then why is the seller to be penalized? If the buyer would try to get money back after agreeing to buy the car and paying in terms I didn't agree to. In these scenarios, why would the buyer be obligated to get a refund and pay pal punish me? If pay pal uses legal means to obtain the funds that I've already taken out then I could also use legal means to show the buyer has not complied in any way and gave me money after the deadline passed and hasn't payed the full balance and won't communicate with me.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:47 PDT 15 of 116
For all I know the guy could be in jail? He won't contact me. I'd lose money on my auction if I refunded the guy all his money and moved on because I needed the money when I needed it and the buyer agreed to those terms.

1508dan (56 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:56 PDT 16 of 116
I agree you could keep the 500.00 but things happen. Like you said your buyer could be locked up, gone into the hospital in an ambulance with sudden health problems or it could be a family member. Maybe no one knows about the person buying the car on ebay and to contact you for him.
If you take out your deposit and send the rest back it will be there when they look for it and you are free to list your car again.
No one sends that kind of money and just forgets it without good reason, something must of happen.

meowsertd (51 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:56 PDT 17 of 116
you are not entiled to the full amount you have recived you are entilted to your deposit $500.00 and your listing fees

either wait for the rest and deliver the car or refund the $ money recived less your deposit and fees

prior to refnding fed ex and provide pay pal the tracking number a recipt this covers your but

in the future please only do wire transfers or cash sales somehwere other than ebay

sellers who look for ways to take more than they are entitled to...give honest sellers bad names

if you didnt want the money via pay pal you should have refused the payment when you recived it. not hard to do PP would have sent it back to where it came from

its still not to late to do that
Anything said by me is Parody and not to be taken seriously. No statements of fact made are to be deemed factual. ©

1508dan (56 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 18:58 PDT 18 of 116
I agree with ruben, once you transferred the partial payments made to you out of your paypal account you changed your terms and started taking "payments" on the car.

I understand you wish to give up the car if the buyer pays in full but now it would seam as you have further accepted the “payments” because you spent the money, now you have no way of giving a refund. So what will you do now if your buyer can not get the 5k odd dollars needed to pay you off?

Your car loan analogy is flawed, all the months/years you paid on a car before it was repossessed you used it, so of course you would not get any payments back.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:14 PDT 19 of 116
You're missing the point...I stated I needed the full amount within 72 hours because of just that, I need it, I can't just wait. I'm entitled to keep the 500? Ok, well that's kinda my point...would I then only be entitled to keep the rest if I stated "if the buyer pays in encriments leading up to the full balance and doesn't pay the remainder of the balance, the funds previously paid are also non-refundable"? Pay pal was ok with me after he said he'd pay extra to cover their fees but I didn't know he was going to do it in multiple transactions that could possibly lead to a fraudulant purchase on his part. Also, fed ex has nothing to do with anything and no tracking number...I sold my corvette to a guy in Iceland. Please step of your pedastool and not act as if I'm not acting in good faith in this transaction. The buyer WILL NOT communicate with me so I need to move my car elsewhere. I'm not going to simply refund everything when I'm entitled to something because of the trouble he's put me through. It sounds more and more like he's trying to scam someone so I might've nipped it in the bud and I'm not going to just "give" money back to a criminal especially if he never contacts me otherwise.

ruben751 (32 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:19 PDT 20 of 116
How did you try to contact the buyer?You should pull their contact info from ebay and call them.

I am not trying to be critical but how can you justify in keeping his money?you accepted his deposit late and the accepted his 14k,in my mind by doing that you have broken your own auction terms and may not be on as solid legal grounds as you think.keep the 500 non refundable deposit and send the rest back thru paypal,unless you have already spent said money.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:27 PDT 21 of 116
The deposit was within the 24 hour specifications. The phone numbers he gave me don't work and he hasn't returned emails. I have spent the money because that's why I stated I needed it within 72 hours...I'm in a bind. When your car is reposessed, would the bank be obligated to pay you back the monthly notes you'd paid because you didn't pay the car off and stopped paying? Don't get me wrong, I'm asking all this from all of you on the basis that this guy doesn't contact me very soon and after the unpaid item report I've filed. I've spent the money he sent assuming he was acting in good faith but he's disappeared, I need the remaining funds, and I don't want a couple weeks to go by and this guy pop up outta nowhere and say he wants his money back which I don't have anymore. I'm mooooooooooooore than happy to ship him the car tomorrow if he pays the remaining balance as well.

ruben751 (32 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:39 PDT 22 of 116
You can not look at this as if it were a bank repo,what I was trying to say is you agreed to accept a payment later than your auction rules,this may in some circles mean that your rules are null and void.
pull his contact info from ebay and try and contact them that way.

chopt49 (34 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:46 PDT 23 of 116
stromadd

Im a seller with over 1800 items shipped in the last 3+ years. prolly sold 40 cars as a private citizen in the last 27 years.

people who give me money and do not pick up the item or respond to emails are not my problem, nor should they be yours.

they entered an agreement, sent you money and now don't return emails. due to your circumstances you have spent the money, but still need the balance.

you are evidentally selling cuz you need the bucks and don't have time to fiddle around with some guy from iceland who does not play well with others. I would try to sell the car in another venue, but you seem to like ebay still, so relist. the last thing on my mind would be what might be fair for this guy.

look out for number one. get your money and do what it is you have to do. this non comunicater should be the last thing on your mind

worry about the possibility of a refund later after you have taken care of whatever it is you need the money for.

1508dan (56 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 19:47 PDT 24 of 116
I agree with ruben, once you transferred the partial payments made to you out of your paypal account you changed your terms and started taking "payments" on the car.

I understand you wish to give up the car if the buyer pays in full but now it would seam as you have further accepted the “payments” because you spent the money, now you have no way of giving a refund. So what will you do now if your buyer can not get the 5k odd dollars needed to pay you off?

Your car loan analogy is flawed, all the months/years you paid on a car before it was repossessed you used it, so of course you would not get any payments back.

larryonline (21 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 20:29 PDT 25 of 116
Come back here and tell us when PayPal tells you it is a highjacked account and wants their money back.

redturtlemotors (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 21:19 PDT 26 of 116
Yep..

I'm waiting for a sob story thread to start soon, don't forget the user id..

PayPal will file suit to recover that kind of a loss!!

Red is the Best Color..

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 21:35 PDT 27 of 116
Pay Pal's reply to my email explaining the situation was, "It is up to your discretion as to how you wish to proceed with the transaction based on your communication with the buyer."

drunken*rain*goddess (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 21:36 PDT 28 of 116
OMG you took that much money through PP???????

My personal choice would have been to refund the money less the deposit but since that is now out of the question it's hard to say what you should do. Pull his contact info from ebay and try calling. If that number doesn't work then report him for invalid contact to ebay. Send a registered letter. There is usually some kind of signature type mailing option even overseas.

You agreed to allow PP to recover money from you if a chargeback was found in your buyer's favor. Even if that weren't the case, if this came from his credit card he can file a chargeback on his card and pp will take the money from your bank account or sue you for it. They will send you to collections, ruin your credit, and get a judgement against you, to haunt you for years to come. With credit card chargebacks there is no appealing. With a normal merchant account you can but PP doesn't protest them and allows them through without a peep.

I'm wondering if the two payments was because he used two different credit cards to pay you.

If you choose to sell the car again then set that money aside so when pp comes back for the money you have it and can just pay it back. Lot less hassle.

No one sends that kind of money and forgets about it. Either it's as stolen credit card or he's entitled to receive most of the money back. Either way, you need to be able to pay it back or complete the transaction soooo if you sell the car to someone else be prepared to pay this guy back.

PP should not be used for large amounts of money. I've heard of chargebacks going through 6 months after a transaction.

If it's a stolen card, it should bounce back pretty quickly and you would probably know soon.

Sharon

Tequila makes her clothes fall off.

A little Patron goes a long way.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 21:51 PDT 29 of 116
What exactly is a chargeback? I requested cashiers check but he said pay pal was better for him but I wasn't going to take a hit on the fees so he agreed to pay over the amount to cover the fees. I didn't know he was going to do multiple transactions but money is money and I need it so I withdrew it.

drunken*rain*goddess (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 21:59 PDT 30 of 116
chargeback is when a person files for their money back. Since you didn't deliver his item he can file for his money back. Paypal will ask for proof of delivery. You don't have any. He'll get his money. He can also file for a credit card charge back if he paid that way. He files with the cc co and says he never got his car. You didn't ship it so you can't prove he got it. He'll get his money back.

With PP, even if they decide you're due the $500 deposit and they only return the rest he can still file a cc chargeback for the deposit. PP does not fight cc chargebacks so when they give the money to the cc then they'll take it from you.

PP is NOT a safe way to receive money. Every payment you get you gamble that you get to keep the money. If you have an online tracking/delivery confirmation then you will probably get to keep your money. If you don't, then you probably won't. That's why you always send things in a trackable way. Most people who sell cars send paperwork with a trackable method. In this case, Fedex would be a good way since it's out of the country. Then you have a trackable method of shipment to show you shipped something.

Realize there are all kinds of ways to get around this though and I've seen a lot of sellers get hosed big time. PP is not safe as a seller. It's pretty safe for a buyer though. I always buy using PP with a credit card. 2 layers of protection. Or with a CC. Never with a cash balance on my pp account unless it's very small amount or someone I trust (like my superman Bill).

Sharon

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 22:06 PDT 31 of 116
Can he still file a chargeback if I'm still waiting on the remaining balance? I don't see how he can claim his money back for not receiving the car when he hasn't paid the amount he agreed to in the auction. Just not quite sure what I should do at this point though.

drunken*rain*goddess (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-19-06 22:46 PDT 32 of 116
I'd be very careful. Yes, he can file because he never got anything. Doesn't mean that you have to send him the car for less than agreed, just means he can get his money back. You're just hosed.

I'd really try more to contact him. Somewhere in all the ebay stuff there is a link to pull his contact info. Do that. Since you don't have the money to give back to him it could really be a problem if you don't find a way to complete the transaction.

I'm not saying you're at fault, just that you're the one who will pay.

Next time, come to this board and ask for advice before you list a car. Sellers here really know how to cover themselves.

Sharon

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 04:12 PDT 33 of 116
"The phone numbers he gave me don't work and he hasn't returned emails."

Your statement tells me all I need to know about this deal.

Your buyer likely was using a hyjacked Ebay and or Paypal account to make the purchase.

Nobody is going to buy a vehicle,pay a partial payment and then just disapear.

As previously stated by other posters, all the buyer OR true owner of the Paypal acct has to do is file with Paypal for a full refund.

Buyer will win hands down.

The only money would would be entitlted to keep on the deal is the "Non Refundable Deposit".

Have you checked the buyer's feedback page? Are they still a registered user or does it show "Not A Registered User"?

It is possible the true owner of the Ebay or Paypal account is away on holiday and is unaware of the situation.

You simply can't keep the payments by removing the money from your Paypal acct.

If the "buyer" or the true acct owner files with Paypal for a refund, you will still owe the money back. Paypal will reverse the payments and place a hold on your acct.

I would contact Paypal and verify the account is not a hyjacked acct.

1-888-221-1161
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 04:35 PDT 34 of 116
This buyer can change his mind about the purchase . It is NOT right, but because he paid the partial payments via Paypal, he just needs to say no vehicle was delivered.

Paypal will place a "Freeze Hold" on your acct.

Because you removed the money, it will forever be a negative balance until the money is placed back in the acct for the refunds.

The buyer OR true acct owner can contact their credit card issuer and say this was an UN authorized purchase on their card.

Again the total amount paid via PP will be "frozen" even if the money is not in your PP acct.

Since the buyers contact info is invalid, you need to report this to Ebay now

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-false.html

It is more than likely when Ebay tries to contact the buyer and can't they will NARU the acct.

Either way, you should NEVER have :

Acceted Paypal for a large amount OR an item being picked up. Why because you can't prove On line Tracking as required by the Paypal Seller Protection

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... pp-outside

You should NEVER ACCEPT OR ALLOW A CHANGE IN YOUR TERMS OF SALE. Once you allowed the partical payments, you have agreed to allow the Buyer to dictate the terms of your auction

You should NEVER have removed the money and spent it, until the vehicle was delivered and in the buyer's possession. Why because you accepted Paypal and many things can go wrong.

You need to read and understand the Paypal User Agreement.

You will see Paypal is not going to say OK no problem you spent the money, if the buyer or true Paypal account owner files for a full refund

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ua-outside

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 05:02 PDT 35 of 116
Your buyer from Iceland bid and won over $36,000 worth of Mopar and Ford items in the month of July so far. Yours was the only vehicle purchase for July

His June purchases were very strong as well.

Feedback has only been left for a few low value items from his sellers in July.

Something , just does not feel right about this purchase,the paypal payments for $14,000 for your vehicle.

The fact the buyer's contact info is invalid and he is not replying to your emails, makes me think this guy was using a stolen credit card or a hyjacked acct.

I would call Paypal and advise Ebay about the invalid contact info NOW!:_|

The bottom line is it is not what YOU think you can do with the Paypal Payments, It is what is allowed by Paypal in this situation.

mopared (141 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 06:13 PDT 36 of 116
Strom-
Listen to the good advice salez is giving you. Not many folks are more knowledgeable on the rules and regs around here.
To simply try to keep the money and stick your head in the sand is only going to come back and bite you in the butt.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 06:37 PDT 37 of 116
Thanks for all the help. Since I wasn't as aware of all these stipulations as I thought I was, I did in fact take the money paid to me and used it to start paying bills. Hence, I have the money no more. However, I've filed the unpaid item with ebay, contacted pay pal, and will try again today to contact the buyer. If I'm still unable to get a response then I'll resell my vette and hold onto that money for a time period...yet to be determined :) And I'll be on a holding pattern to see if pay pal, the "authentic" owner of the accts, or some cc company notify me that I owe them money back. In that case, I'll go through the process of returning the money that I can and chalk this up to experience. Thanks for the help guys and if you have any more advice please send. My main question in all this was how long would I just have to wait and consider the car sold to this guy. Thanks.

virgin.princess.of.ebm (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 07:31 PDT 38 of 116
I'm still thinking that it's a 6 month timeframe for chargeback on a cc.

And RT is right, that much money they would come after you. The small stuff they just freeze the account but that's a lot of money. Next time, just take a deposit via pp and have wire done for the rest.

Salez, when you went and looked at the buyer was his account registered in Iceland? While some people move and their original registration is still showing if he was originally registered in a different country odds are it's a hijack.

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 07:45 PDT 39 of 116
We are in the process of setting up a merchant account.

I have researched all the charge back info, If the slip is signed buy the buyer at time of delivery and documentation of an AS-IS Sale is signed and presented to our provider we will win the complaint.

They told us a CB can occur as long as 2 Years after the sale! They also told us that internet deals over the phone where we do not swipe the card are Very Risky!

OP, If you don't have any credit, don't own a home, or other attachable assets you are pretty much OK. But it could be a major hassle to deal with, And some huge guy might just show up to collect his money in person!!
116 replies Date posted Reply #
salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 07:47 PDT 40 of 116
Yes the buyer is registered in Iceland.

I really hope everything works out well for the OP(Original Poster).

It may be the buyer is away on holiday, but the invlaid contact info is a worry:_|.

freightmiester (0 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:23 PDT 41 of 116
Your buyer is still active. Bid on the following car: 120010256340 on July 18th.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:25 PDT 42 of 116
I took an in depth look at your buyers bidding since winning your auction on 7/3.

It appears he bid and won quite a few auctions after winning your auction.

Most of his bids were place on July 11 Tuesday.

There has been no activity since 7/11/06

It looks like while he still owed you the balance of $5,000 he continued to bid on auctions.:_|

If I were you I would report the invalid contact info to Ebay and see what happens.

Since you can't refund the Paypal payments because the money is spent, you can't re list the vehicle for sale.

I would say you are in a bind here because you allowed the buyer to make payments towards the vehicle and accepted Paypal.

Never allow the buyer to tell you or dictate your auction terms.

Once the full payment was not made within your specified payment timeframe in the auction, you should have offered the vehicle to the next highest bidder.

Live and learn:-D

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:27 PDT 43 of 116
To check your buyer's history to to BUY Click Advanced search Click by bidder on the left hand side

Put the bidder's ID in the box ,choose only auctions won/completed, hit search.

It will bring up all the auctions bid on and won within the last 30 days.;)

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:32 PDT 44 of 116
When you tried contacting the buyer, did you use the Ebay system or an email address provided by the bidder/buyer?

I would try and contact them via the Ebay system Only.Go to your auction, and use Contact Buyer on the auction page. If you still get no reply within a day or 2 I would suspect the buyer is either on holiday or the acct was hyjacked !

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:38 PDT 45 of 116
" I sent emails to the winning bidder for an update but he didn't respond. After the close and he didn't respond with a payment until six days later and posted two payments via pay pal. "

From this scenerio , it sounds like either the buyer changed his mind or the account was not in the real users's control.

I wonder if any of the other auctions he won at the same time he won yours or after your were paid for yet?;)

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:51 PDT 46 of 116
ON 7/11 your buyer bid $400 on a 72 Dodge engine the auction ends on 7/20 Thursday.

Your buyer bid $1000 on a 1967 Coronet on Tuesday 7/18

I'm thinking why is he still bidding on $1400 worth of auctions , if he still owes $5000 on your auction from EOA 7/3 ???

He placed a bid on the 67 coronet on the 18th so he was at/near a computer?

I think you will find the 2 paypal payments are going to be reversed either by the buyer or by Paypal in the very near future:_|

The Mystery unfolds

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 08:56 PDT 47 of 116
The Plot Thickens..

He bought a 440/727 Engine/Tranny combo still in the car..

Seems like it would be a pita to ship, maybe the seller is removing/crating it.

Sure looks like a Hijack to me!

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 10:18 PDT 48 of 116
I agree that is why I asked the OP if he contacted the "Buyer" by the Ebay email system.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I vote a Hyjack

I would contact Ebay here to find out for sure

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_ ... ction.html

Ebay won't tell you for sure, but they will email the seller and let them know the auction bidder/buyer had Unauthorized activity on the account when the auction ended.;)

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 14:57 PDT 49 of 116
Very interesting. I did contact the buyer through ebay every time. Also, he did finally call me today but what's strange is he said that he just had a baby on Monday and hasn't had access to a computer since then...as we can see he's bid since then! Not to mention, bid with money that he owes me :( I'll let you know of any other update but that's what I have for now...

running*with*scissors (19 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 14:59 PDT 50 of 116
This is not gonna end well...
-------------------------------

Dont worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

virgin.princess.of.ebm (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 15:42 PDT 51 of 116
No it's not my kinky one.

Storm, the baby/sick/dying/whatever excuse is common. Now I do know it happens but then he shouldn't have been bidding. I did have a customer who paid me in full and was arranging pickup of about $300 worth of stuff. He fell off the face of the earth. Since I had the money and the stuff I wasn't really worried about it. Also, he lives in a small town near me and since we'd talked about local stuff I knew he was probably real. Turns out his dad had a stroke and he had to leave town for a week & 1/2.

Since he's bidding I bet you see a chargeback soon. Who knows though, you may see the money since he actually communicated with you. I wonder if the guy is on a buying spree cause he's going to have it all shipped at once. That really common. I've had customers or customers who had customers that would have everything sent to a shipping company and containerized. The whole container would be shipped on a ship at a much cheaper rate. That may be what he is doing.

Did he say when he was going to finish paying you?

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 21:12 PDT 52 of 116
He actually said he was gonna make the final payment this afternoon buuuuuut, no payment. I tried the phone again and no answer, emailed him for an update on the payment he promised today, and questioned why he said he hasn't been on a computer since his baby was born yet he's bid on an item on the 18th...no answer from him.

midorimeadowsllc (719 ) View Listings | Report Jul-20-06 21:52 PDT 53 of 116
The fact that he's talking to you may be good. He may be just in a little over his head on the money issue. I'm really beginning to think he containering this stuff. It happens a lot with parts. When I used to sell tanks there were several times that there were people who bought a bunch over about a months time and had it shipped. Phone hottie #2 was building a container right before I left the shop that was going to Australia.

Sharon

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 15:04 PDT 54 of 116
Still no reply from the buyer once again...I'd like to have as much go through ebay as possible so I have proof of what he's doing or not doing. I sent him an email via ebay stating that he's abused the leniency I offered him in waiting on payment for the vehicle he purchased on the 3rd, but the lack of communication and time and money it's costing me has gone too far. I stated that I require the remaining balance within 24 hours or I'll consider the vette back on the market and his previous deposits non-refundable. Would this hold weight in any way? I figure at the very least it should push things on his end to get me my money within the 24 hours. This is all assuming the account isn't hijacked.

rs69cam777 (260 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 15:20 PDT 55 of 116
I don't TRUST anything anymore,

For crying out louad whens the last time you seen a PINK around here?

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 15:35 PDT 56 of 116
Well, wonders never cease...he just sent the final payment to my pay pal. However, as I stated in my previous post, I sent him the email saying I needed the money within 24 hours and he promptly sent that money. The weird thing is though, he hasn't answered any questions we discussed such as his bidding on other items and not paying me as well as the fact he hasn't even replied to the email stating I needed the money within 24 hours or it's back on the market and his deposits are non-refundable...he just sent the payment. What should I do? Should I consider this a done deal and wait for his shipping company to contact me? If so, what's the best way of confirming the delivery of the vette? As I've stated before, he's doing some strange things and not communicating well so it all sounds fishy but I don't want the money to cloud my judgement. I now have the money but what's my next move?

purpleturtlemotors (30 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 15:42 PDT 57 of 116
stromadd, I have been away from the computer for awhile.
I need a little more info, in order to be of any help.

First: Need to know the size of payments received.
Example, $500 10k 5k. or, $500 7.5k 7.5k.
Each bank in Iceland has two different tiers of banking.
Not like the US, with one.

Common mistakes were made in this transaction.
#1. borderline car> meaning how many months old it is.
#2.payment types> you agreed to accept paypal, now you are paying the price.
Should have been bank to bank wire transfer only.
#3. Breaking your own terms of auction> accepting payments after 72 hrs.
Now, unless this is a hijacked account? Which I doubt.
You are now playing the buyers game.

He is using the stall tecnique> very common in overseas sales.
The reason for saying this? "The guy did call you".

Now, give me the payment sizes, I will try to be of more help.
Turtles, just want to have fun. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 15:48 PDT 58 of 116
Payments were $500, $10k, $5.3k, and now $5k. He ended up paying over the auction price, which I don't know if I'm too comfortable with, because I wanted a cashiers check but he said he couldn't do that and would go through pay pal and pay a little extra to cover all the fees they would take out. I'm not trying to steal someone's money so I'm ready to ship the car if yall think it's on the up and up but I definitely need to make sure of it's delivery to him and I'm not quite sure of the best method of confirmation.

purpleturtlemotors (30 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 16:08 PDT 59 of 116
Now, we can get somewhere.
The buyer is in the upper tier of banking.

Overnight him a receipt for payment, with signed delivery confirmation.
I know it will cost, but will cover your butt.

Now let's get to the the pay pal chargeback issue.
The buyer is not eligible, unless, you do not ship item.
Then and only then, could he get his money back.
His bank will come after you, not paypal.
Commonly known as> FBI knocking on your door.

Walk softly my friend, cross you t's and dot your I's.
Just like I said in the other post, you are playing his game now.
By paying you the way he did, he has already saved himself 2k.
Seems to me that this guy knows the system.

meowsertd (51 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 16:31 PDT 60 of 116
just wiat til he stals picking up the car for 90 days or more while his containor gets ready

midorimeadowsllc (719 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 18:15 PDT 61 of 116
PT knows his stuff. Listen to him. Cover your behind with that receipt. Make sure you get that money away from any bank account that PP has access to. If he files a chargeback then you'd have the documentation to show you sent the car and while PP doesn't care about that a court will. Make sure you get documentation of the shipping.

Sharon

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 18:31 PDT 62 of 116
I ended up calling him a little while ago. I have the money and he said he's going to have shop usa ship the car for him...I don't know if they're legitimate or not? He said they'd call me after the weekend to set up a pick up and then I guess I'll release my car. The whole thing has been fishy but as far as I can see it at this point, the only way I get screwed is if I don't prove he receives the car.

redturtlemotors (1 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 19:04 PDT 63 of 116
Since you can't put a vehicle in a box and get a delivery confirmation on it it could still be a problem.

I wish you well.. The buyer is probably legit, I just hope the PP Funds were not from a hijacked account.

Was each transaction from the same PayPal account??

Red is the Best Color..

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 19:21 PDT 64 of 116
Yes

midorimeadowsllc (719 ) View Listings | Report Jul-21-06 23:27 PDT 65 of 116
The Turtle boys have done a lot of overseas bus. Listen to them and make sure you cover your butt.

Sharon

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 08:20 PDT 66 of 116
Another update on my situation :) I have two things that concern me at the moment. For one, the buyer has confirmed that it's his friends account and not his that he's used to buy the car and that's why when he said he hadn't had access to a computer after his baby was born the account still showed a bid on another item. Two, he said he's shipping the car via shopusa. Are they legitimate? Even if they are, the contact person he's had call me and emailed me has used the email address [email protected]. That seems strange as I would expect it to be [email protected] like it says on the shopusa website. I'm wondering if that's just something that's involved in Iceland and nothing to concern myself with. Thanks for the help.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 08:29 PDT 67 of 116
which account is his " friend's" Did he say the Ebay account ?

Or did he say the "Paypal" account belongs to his "friend"?

If he used his "friends" Paypal account then be prepared for the PP acct owner to file an "un authorized use " on the credit card or PP acct once the vehicle is realeased by you

mrelmwood (1015 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 09:07 PDT 68 of 116
I've been known to be wrong. No, really!

But, sometimes are exactly what they are. Sometimes it is not the Great American Conspiracy. There is no gunman on the grassy knowl.

Not everyone has a computer. Really.

The US of A is the last country still relying on paper as a means of completing transactions.

It is very common for Icelander's to buy in NA. Their cost of living, and access to widgets is severely limited. There are the recurring "shopping flights" where they fly to Canada in the fall to do all their X-Mas shopping.
I wonder what the poor bunnies are doing this season? - Bugs Bunny

meowsertd (51 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 09:08 PDT 69 of 116
that and thanks to shrub our dollar is virtualy worthless its very cheap to buy things here now

pennies on the dollar

purpleturtlemotors (30 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 09:20 PDT 70 of 116
stromadd, I am sure the buyer is just as concerned about this transaction as you are.

If it was my transaction, I would contact jon jonsen @ salesusa.is.
He is the guy who will ultimately be the fall guy if anything goes wrong here.
Yes, he takes care of all the proper document procedures.
Customs, shipping, taxes, fees, etc.
And yes, he uses pay pal also.

He will be the one to give you a red or green light on the deal.

My gosh, I certainly hope the buyer doesn't see this thread.
Still wishing you the best with your transaction, Tommy//

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 10:40 PDT 71 of 116
Boy, I gotta admit that you have one unusual situation on the go here.

When I saw that your buyer told you that he just had a baby and your 'Vette ad stated that you just had a new baby girl, I went Hmmmmm?

Criminals usually try to find something in common with their victims to pull the heart strings alongB-)

Regardless,
that car will sit at US Customs for at least 72 hrs to clear before leaving the US.
They'll have it sniffed, x rayed and check to see if it is stolen or not.

It would not be unusual for maybe a few people from Iceland sharing a shipping container.
Those things pack a lot of weight.

I would want to see and make copies of any shipping documents from whoever picks up the car.
If they don't have any, don't let them take it.

Wanna bet your phone starts ringing then, and maybe some documents get emailed to you from the shipping broker (wherever they may be)?

The shipping broker will be bonded and won't mess around getting caught up in the middle.

'Course, if you still have suspicions after that and think a CC company is going to chase after you after the car is long gone?

Just after the car gets picked up,
go to your local PD (with all your paperwork and information of course) and put in a police report that you think the car has been stolen:^O

US Customs will call you for sure when it hits port,
unless it's been "chopped":O

I just can't figure the lack of communication from your buyer?
Hope that it works out though.

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 11:28 PDT 72 of 116
Hope I didn't give you more to worry about?
Car getting chopped that is:O

Me, paranoid heck no!
I wouldn't be writing down tag #'s of the people coming to pick up the car,
Or having pictures taken of them from inside the house,
Or offering them a nice cold glass of lemonade, or a soda in a "GLASS" (fingerprints).

I Always expect the worst when suspicions ariseB-)
My fingers are crossed for ya!

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:01 PDT 73 of 116
The buyer said it was his friends Ebay acct. It is definitely an unsual situation that's been esculated by the buyers unsual statements and lack of communication. However, I think with all that's been said in done, the transaction should be legit.

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:29 PDT 74 of 116
Okey Dokey then,
Sounds kinda like you are convinced that everything will be just fine:)?

I know that if I got rooked for a $20k car and then a CC co came after me for another $20k a bit later?

Well that would mean I'm out $40k:O

I prefer to be careful and expect the worst on the unknown, anything better than the worst is a bonus!

"Paranoia is just a Higher level of Awareness"

midorimeadowsllc (719 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:38 PDT 75 of 116
Bizzy you been drinking again? Isn't it 20k? Get 20k, send car, lose 20k. 1&3 wash so it's just the car.

Sharon

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:42 PDT 76 of 116
Things that make you go.. Hmmmmmmm..

midorimeadowsllc (719 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:48 PDT 77 of 116
I make you go MMMMMMM?

Sharon

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 12:52 PDT 78 of 116
Nooooo,
Lose a $20k car and have to pay back $20k to a CC co is $40k.

Oh Snap,
hehehehehe, yah, you're right:^O

You're out $20k,
OK, OK, so add $20k for P&S (pain and suffering),
Now you're out $40k:-p

No, I'm not drinking well diet Pepsi today.
Too hot to drink light beer until maybe Oct, Nov:-p

I gots lotsa #'s on the go today gettin ready for Mon,
Now you got me wondering and I'm gonna recheck all my rithmatic for today:O

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 13:03 PDT 79 of 116
At least there is always a Chapter 7
117 replies Date posted Reply #
meowsertd (51 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 14:09 PDT 80 of 117
could always contact PP and make them verify the CC was autherized

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-23-06 14:15 PDT 81 of 117
#7 is certainly NOT, a chapter I wish to belong to.

Thanks for catching my brain fart.
Missed a 0 AND a decimal on my calculamations from last night and "nevermind".

I need another mini vacation:_|

Good thing I didn't go out to get some Teats last night with all the extra $ that I didn't have:^O

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 06:52 PDT 82 of 117
WOW! This thing will never end...perhaps this should be a sticky on what to do and NOT do :) I had a call today from a guy saying he was coming to pick up the vette, actually even said the wrong year. His call was listed private and he said he was from Rabrs Company. This is the first I've heard of this company being involved and I informed him that the purchaser of the vehicle informed me previously of a different shipping company being involved. The driver said he had a few pickups to make in the area and would give me a call when he got here and I can let him know what to do. However, I got on Ebay to email the winning bidder to get him to state in writing which shipping company he has scheduled to pick up the vette and it says he's no longer a registered user!!! Need help from you pros out there again and what this possibly means. I'm not letting my car go until I'm 100% sure I'm safe. Thanks.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:14 PDT 83 of 117
It sounds like Ebay found reason to NARU (Not A Registered User)the buyer.

Most likely one of the following triggered the Naru status

False contact info

Hijacked user account (buyer)

Paypal unauthorized use of Paypal acct/ stolen credit card

Given that your buyer now says he is using his "friends" Ebay account and has made alot of high valued purchases , It may or may not be a combination of all of the above.

Way too many weird things on this transaction.

Did you check with Paypal about the payments.

I would log onto your PP acct and see if any of the "Payments" are now showing reversed or canceled.

Either way if the payments went thru and are valid, then the buyer paid for the vehicle.

I would not release the vehicle , unless you hear from the buyer who is supposed to pick up the vehicle

This scenrio screams red flags.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:16 PDT 84 of 117
If I found myself in this situation, I would contact the sellers of the other high value items purchased in the last 30 days and ask them how the transactions went.

It maybe they are experienceing similar situations;)

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:20 PDT 85 of 117
DO NOT LET THE CAR GO
call police when the guy comes to pick up car.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:24 PDT 86 of 117
Thanks for helping me out so far. I talked to pay pal the other day and they said the payments made were from the registered account for that pay pal account or in other words "valid". However, that of course doesn't mean the account wasn't hijacked right? Everything leading up to this has been very strange on behalf of the buyer and I'm definitely not letting my car go until something is proven.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:32 PDT 87 of 117
Ebay in it's usual stupidity, now will not allow you to pull up a buyer's bidding history for the last 30 days once a user has been NARUed:_|

This is just one more example how Ebay helps the scammers to contine to operate.:_|

I agree with BIZZ, I would not release the vehicle or title on this one just yet.

It is really too bad you don't have the funds to just refund the buyer on this one.

Because you accepted Paypal on this one for the entire amount, it really sounds like a "chargeback" is in the making:_|

Call Paypal, they will not volunteer any ifo, but if you play it just right, they may tell you the Payments is under investigation. ;)

This situation reeks of fraud on the buyer's part.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:36 PDT 88 of 117
Bottom line in yall's mind is that I don't release my car until I talk to the buyer and he confirms who he has shipping the car? In which case should I get him to email me that info or something along those means as proof so someone can't come back down the road and say I didn't authorize them to ship the vehicle? If all that is confirmed by the buyer should I then release the car and get all the paperwork I can from the shipper as well as the best way to confirm delivery to Iceland? Main thing is the car is paid for and I'm trying to authenticate the shipping so with the buyer no longer being an ebay registerd user is kinda of irrelevant at this point right? It screams scam but it looks as if I need to talk to the buyer, confirm the shipper and confirm delivery ooorrr resell the vette, hold the money in savings until the "probable" chargeback is filed? Just thinking out loud because I'm not too familiar with big deals on ebay and this ebayer has put me through some unique situations. Thanks again....

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:36 PDT 89 of 117
I'll bet this guy's friend is not happy he allowed your buyer to bid using his Ebay account.

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:36 PDT 90 of 117
Good,
The guy coming to pick up your car may have other cars on his trailer that may be of questionable status also.

Call the auto theft division of your local PD,
they should send over a detective before the delivery trailer arrives.

You may be on the verge of breaking up an international theft ring:O

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:37 PDT 91 of 117
I know...I just checked to see his recent history and nada...can't find a thing. That doesn't help too much EBAY!!! :)

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:38 PDT 92 of 117
Haha bizza, you add a little humor to the situation but maybe you're correct?

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:44 PDT 93 of 117
The buyer used his friend's Ebay account to bid which has now be NARUed by Ebay

The buyer used his own Paypal account to pay for the transaction in full.

I'm thinking the minuet you hand the car and title over to some shipping company, the funds will suddenly be reveresed by your buyer OR the real owner of the Paypal acct.

Ebay and Paypal do not always communicate where these scams are concerned.

:_|

Check your Paypal acct and see if the transactions still show complete.

My guess is the buyer will suddenly be very anxious to have the vehicle picked up by a shipping company.

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:46 PDT 94 of 117
Whatever you do, DO NOT Release The car!!

The buyer being NARU is Legitimate enough reason!

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:49 PDT 95 of 117
Should I say that I will not release my vette until I have written confirmation that the registered ebayer for the name of the winning bidder agreed to the transaction and what shipping company they're using? Also, how do I find out who the registerd name is...probably too late now since it's NARU.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:49 PDT 96 of 117
My question is if this buyer had his own Paypal account, then why did he need his "friends account to bid?Mmmmmmmmm makes me wonder.

That does not make any sense to me.

If the guy had all this money and his own PP acct, then why not just open his own Ebay buyer acct?

Sorry but this reeks like a week old fish to me.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:52 PDT 97 of 117
This whole thing about the bidder's account belonging to a friend just does not ring true.

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:57 PDT 98 of 117
Ebay and Paypal will not give you any information or the reason why the bidder's account was NARUed.

This buyer has you between a rock and a hard place, because you no longer have the Paypal funds to simply refund the payemnts.

When speaking/emailing the buyer, you do not know who you are speaking to.

You can get anything in writng you want, but if the vehicle/title is released , the payments can be reversed and there will be nothing that will change that fact.

You will have a Negitive Paypal balance and the vehicle/title will be long gone.X-(

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 07:59 PDT 99 of 117
Maybe I'm confusing myself...which isn't hard to do...but when "should" I release the vette?

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 08:02 PDT 100 of 117
Nothing in writing from the "buyer" or any one else will protect you from a chargeback, if the real Ebay user OR the real PP acct holder tells PP the account was hijacked or the credit card to fund the payments was an Un authorized use situation.

This is the major reason accepting Paypal for a large purchase such as a vehicle is always a risk for the seller.

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 08:05 PDT 101 of 117
I just have a very bad feeling about this deal, and would not release the car and title.

You have received an UNSECURE Payment! The buyer is NARU! Anything in writing is totally worthless and will not get your Car or the $$ Back!

Hold that car at least another 30 days to be sure.. It's about all you can do. If the guy threatens you tell him to Sue You! It's a civil matter.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 08:11 PDT 102 of 117
Ok, so I'm thinking this is my best course of action...correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not releasing the car under any circumstances because of all the misinformation he's given me and the ebay user now being NARU. I tell the guy who paid via pay pal that I cannot release the car to him now, if he doesn't like it he can sue, but I'm going to resell the vehicle and I'll refund that money to his pay pal account. Whatever the time frame may be is irrelevant...the car is no longer his because of the lies and he'll get a refund when the car resells. Sue me and we'll take it to court if he doesn't like it. Best thing to do?

salez4u (150 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 08:16 PDT 103 of 117
You would think if the buyer's "Friend's" Ebay account was suddenly NARued, he would contact you immediately to re assure you the deal is still on and make arrangements for the vehicle pick up ASAP.

The fact you have heard nothing from the "buyer" makes me think this is not going to turn out well and a chargeback on all the Paypal money is the next scenerio we will hear about.

running*with*scissors (19 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 09:08 PDT 104 of 117
I agree with bizz, get the cops there..
-------------------------------

Dont worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 09:25 PDT 105 of 117
eBay may pressure you to complete the transaction, but since the buyer is NARU i kind of doubt it.

I'm thinking it is a hijacked account. Scammers are selling eBay and PayPal accounts on the underground left and right!

Re-list the car and hopefully another scammer will not win it the second time around.

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 09:29 PDT 106 of 117
Oh and another thing, Unless there was some changes made recently, any PayPal account can be used to fund any eBay users acct. They do not have to match.

bizzarrt (175 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 09:56 PDT 107 of 117
Just listen to what the little voices are telling me to tell you what to do.

This just may be a case where "Premature Evaluation" is going to be a good thing;)

Hope the police are smart enough not to come to your place waiting in a real shiny new "co car":O

Auto squad should be smarter than that, I hope!

I'm watching your house by satellite to see what happens nextB-)

PS, you can bring your garbage cans in from the curb now.

thingamajigs*n*widgets (84 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 09:58 PDT 108 of 117
Maybe I'm confusing myself...which isn't hard to do...but when "should" I release the vette?

NEVER
This was an obvious scam from the beginning.
Sorry that you just can't see it.

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 10:06 PDT 109 of 117
Oh, I see it...now. I just got a call from dependable transport saying they were contracted to pick up the vehicle by shopusa etc., and seemed a little upset. However, I told them that the winning bidder has been unreliable, untrustworthy, and non-complient and the ebay account suddenly becoming NARU was the last straw. I can't take the riks of letting my car go and then getting a chargeback for the full amount and I lose 20K. When I resell the care I'd be happy to refund the amount owed the winning bidder if they were truly legitimate....anyone wanna buy a vette? :)

theautoport (53 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 10:19 PDT 110 of 117
Or at least the voice on the phone said they were Dependable Transport..

These cons are really getting slick!!

stromadd (48 ) View Listings | Report Jul-25-06 10:39 PDT 111 of 117
A lady from "Am Seek?" just called upset too. Apparently there's three companies involved in the shipment and that they've already been paid by the winning bidder and are acting as if he's legit. However, assuming they're who they say they are...as far as shipping he may be legit. He's paid them and needs items he purchases shipped but once he get's the item that may be when the illegal activity occurs. Should I even worry about these shipping companies calling? They're talking about their deadlines but a driver called me this morning saying he would be at the house in a few hours to pick up the car....well, thats a little short notice! I couldn't even be at the house for the shipper to pick up the car. Oh we
DOC
Admin & Publisher

Former eBay Motors PowerSeller